- Designate a set number of leafleters during the time of your protest. We recommend that the leafleters not look like part of the group – not holding signs or wearing activist-related clothing. The leafleters should always be professional and approachable.
- Prior to the protest, place leafleters outside the parking lots where people are coming through and, if possible, near the entrances. It’s best to place leafleters before and/or after the protest line.
- Leaflets should be handed out with a positive attitude and a smile. “Would you like some information about Saratoga Race Course?” or “Here is some information about what is happening here today.” Always be professional and courteous.
- Please refrain from placing leaflets on cars or other property. It’s best to hand them directly to passersby (assuming, that is, that they are willing to accept).
- If someone says “No,” or utters something unkind, simply smile and refocus to the next person. Do not engage in confrontation (even if someone takes a leaflet and crumbles it up in front of you). The animals need us to remain calm. (See guidelines for a successful protest.)
- After the protest or leafleting event, please take a few moments to check the area for discarded leaflets and pick them up. Reuse what you can and dispose of others accordingly.